Pyrmont Fire Station, Pyrmont
See MAX Build TV
Pyrmont Fire Station is a heritage listed building with a colourful past and promising future. Built in 1906 by noted architect Walter Liberty Vernon, the fire station serviced the local factories and Sydney harbour-side industries. World war led to a closure and alternate life as a workers' dormitory, before the keys were returned to the firies in the '70s. By 2015, the building needed a major upgrade to remain fit for public duty.
MAX Build was chosen for this special role to put in place enough structural reinforcement to withstand an earthquake. This extensive seismic detailing, along with preserving heritage features, took our team five months to complete. Remedial works were carried out in conjunction with a new build extension by the principal contractor, Artel Construction.
Seismic works included excavating into the bedrock to create new footings, installing four super-sized portal frames, and tying these to 10mm flat bar cross bracings and a Helibar system. We re-built the roof from the inside out, strengthened the floor joists, and underpinned anything structural.
Not only have we given this historical treasure back its mojo, we have ensured that if there is an emergency in the city we can depend on this building as an important hub for the fire brigade.